Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Hockey and Soccer

When I was growing up my two favorite sports were College Football and Basketball. Probably because everyone liked BYU Football and my dad liked football a lot too. Basketball was always up there too because that was the sport I played most growing up and probably still play most. (Try to play every Wednesday night with our ward). But I don't have much passion for either of these 2 sports anymore and I haven't had much a desire to watch these sports for a while now (College and Pro).

Over the last few years, Hockey has continually been my favorite sport. After learning and playing it in many different ways (Ice, Roller, and Floor) it is a sport that is so fast and exciting even though it is a lot less scoring than any of those from my past. I audited the Ice Hockey class at BYU twice after I took it for real just to get more practice. Soccer is growing and growing with me. First of all it is a lot like Hockey, with goal scoring and complex play making with a true team effort. I think it is too late to try to learn to play it though, but I follow it pretty good. I find myself turning to the Spanish channel occasionally just to see if it has a game on even though I can't understand the commentary.

Other sports I like to watch and sometimes play include Tennis and Volleyball.
Other sports that I have never enjoyed include: Baseball and Racing (Nascar)
Sports (if you call these sports) that I think people are foolish by even participating in: Boxing, fighting (like UFC. -sorry Kevin, actually that's maybe why you like to watch it?) and Poker.

4 comments:

Bill said...

Looking forward in watching Tanner this evening.

Erin said...

Did my Jim have anything to do with your love...I know he was watching the Wings last night.

Page Family said...

The reason why these types of sports are so special I think is because of the low opportunities to score. In these types of sports you work so hard personally and as a team and each goal is cherished and celebrated. I think basketball is the worst. I used to be a huge basketball fan growing up. But for much the same reasons you were. It was what we played. But it is pretty much the same the whole way through and you just wait till the end to find out what happened. Unlike Hockey and soccer where a goal can happen any moment and change the course of the game. Although for the same reasons just mentioned I thoroughly enjoy College football and UFC.

Kevin Brown said...

As far as boxing and fighting, like the UFC, and people being foolish for participating in it, I don't really agree with that. Do you have any idea how much those guys get paid? And many, if not most, of them lack any other marketable skills to make a decent living and take care of there families. Yes on the surface it sounds dumb to expose yourself to being beat the crap up but if the alternative is low-end jobs that make it very difficult or near impossible to raise a family, afford health-care, save for retirement, and provide a good education to your kids couldn't it actually be the better choice to take a beating once or twice a year?

In the UFC the guys really only fight at most twice a year and sometimes only once every two years. And suprisingly it's much safer than boxing. There has never been a death in the UFC where as in boxing there have been a few. There are also actually very few serious injuries, or at least long term injuries, like brain damage or anything. The most common injuries would be concussions, torn muscles, or broken bones: again not actually very serious, life threatening, or very long-term.

All risks, including a dangerous job, have a cost and benefit and I would argue that for many, if not most, people that fight for a living probably are making the better decision for there family as the benefits outweigh the costs. The benefits of having a reliable income to raise a family on, afford health care, save for retirement, and provide a good education to your children may very well be worth taking a beating once or twice a year.